PLEASE NOTE: Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network (AWN Network) ~~formerly Autism Women’s Network~~ is currently making changes to all our networking sites due to our new name change. During this time you may see places where our previous name is still showing. Please feel free to ask us any questions if you run across anything that’s confusing. We’re hoping for a smooth transition and so far so good!! We couldn’t be more pleased and excited to be sharing this journey with all of you!!
Welcome to AWN Network!
The mission of Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network is to provide community, support, and resources for Autistic women, girls, nonbinary people, and all others of marginalized genders.
AWN Network is dedicated to building a supportive community where we can share our experiences in an understanding, diverse and inclusive environment. Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network is committed to recognizing and celebrating diversity and the many intersectional experiences in our community.
AWN Network’s Committee on Autism & Ethnicity aims to educate the public about the impact of race and culture on our Autistic identities. The committee runs a grant program for Autistic people of color. See details here.
Divergent: when disability & feminism collide is an initiative of AWN Network which seeks to explore the impact of sexism and ableism in disabled and nondisabled communities. Divergent is run exclusively by disabled people of varying identities and disabilities.
Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network has an ongoing health provider survey with a linked database listing intimate care providers. These providers offer sensory friendly and accessible health care.
In it’s work to develop more inclusive and accessible communities and opportunities, AWN Network has focused on challenging societal attitudes about the worth of disabled lives. Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network has called for the zealous prosecution of hate crimes against disabled people.
AWN Network welcomes all women, both transgender and cisgender, non-binary and genderqueer people, Two-Spirit people, people who have at anytime identified as women or girls, and all other people of marginalized genders or of no gender. AWN recognizes and affirms all people’s gender identities and expressions, as well as choices about disclosure, transition, and going stealth.
1. AWN Network is Autistic-Space. Those who support our mission and follow community guidelines are welcomed visitors.
2. AWN Network uses identity first language, as we believe it is impossible to separate a person from their autism. Identity first language both respects and affirms the worth and value of our Autistic identities.
3. Please stay on topic. Comments that are not on topic or include links to unrelated subject matter will be deleted.
In order to keep this page safe for Autistic people:
- We ask that visitors be aware of possible triggering language.
- We do not use functioning labels (high/low functioning autism)
- Hate speech, hostile and abusive language will be deleted. Engaging in such behaviors will result in permanent banning from the community.
- All comments suggesting that abuse or murder of disabled people is caused by lack of services will be deleted and the commenter will be banned. Lack of services or supports for disabled people and their caregivers is never a justification for murder or abuse.
- AWN Network supports science based medicine that centers the dignity and bodily autonomy of Autistic people first and foremost. Comments or posts that advocate the use of “experimental” procedures and discredited ideas (chelation, MMS, lupron, anti-vaccine, etc.) will be deleted.
- Parents, professionals, caregivers or other are welcomed visitors to our community, but we ask that you not speak over the voices of Autistic people.
This is an intentional community. These guidelines are necessary to keep this space safe and inclusive for Autistic people and to keep our online community true to the mission of Autistic Women & Nonbinary Network .
Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org ***due to the volume of emails, it’s not possible to reply to every contact. Thank you for understanding.
NOTICE: All AWN Network articles on this website are offered as personal viewpoints of the author and should never be a substitute for your medical recommendations. Always consult your personal healthcare professional before making changes to your prescribed or recommended maintenance.